Sunday, February 04, 2007

why

When I was confronted with Parkinson's Disease, I didn't ask, "Why me?" I had sailed through 52 years of life with astonishing good health, and, frankly, I realized I was overdue for some suffering. However, I have frequently wondered, "Why PD?" I tend to be melancholy, and depression is a well-know feature of the disease. I tend avoid challenges, and PD gives me a justified excuse. Just why God would want to deal this particular variety of adversity to someone who needs so much encouragement to be cheerful and willing, I can't say. But something else I share with countless others is the wish to be in control. What better training in giving up control than tremors? Or a disease that progresses idiosyncratically, made-to-order, individual, unpredictable. The Azilect has not yet helped any of my symptoms. Will I call Dr. B. for Sinemet with it's well known side-effects but amazing efficacy? Or will I embrace my disability with the assurance that where my control ends, God's begins? Stay tuned...

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

I'm the type that likes to be in control, too. Hmmmmm. Maybe you've hit on something here LOL!!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Dvorak cello concerto. I came across your blog because i just made a film on Parkinson's disease, and I am going to start blogging so I was looking to see what was out there. There is a Yo-Yo Ma tango right in the middle of the film, and some JS Bach towards the end.

The film is about young onset PD and DBS. It has been creating quite a stir around the film world and PD community. Please check out my site www.lilafilms.com
and please add a link to me from your site. I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Music is a great balm.

All the best,
Deborah Fryer

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deborah,
Thanks for visiting me, and for the comment. I saw your web site and the info about the film. Wow! Yes, I love the cello music. I used to play, but I was never that good. Hope to "see" you again!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home