Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Scary Thought

Over the past few days, I spent a good 36 hours mentally flaying myself for turning down a great opportunity. Our across-the-street neighbor asked if I would be home Thursday morning, and I said no. The idea of having to tie myself to the house from 8am to noon on my day off horrified me. I always walk, and run errands then! Upset my schedule? For uncertainty and awkwardness? Please, no! So I turned down a rare opportunity to be a good neighbor--G. had simply needed someone to open her house when the cable man came. Immediately after I hung up the phone, I regretted my answer. But I didn't have a number to call back, as she wasn't calling from home. Later, when I was able to call, she had found someone else for the task. During the intervening hours, I realized the scary reality that I could be perfectly selfish--and get away with it. My kids are grown, my parents have passed on, and my husband is low-maintainence. My nursing job, though frequently demanding, is just 7-3:30. The idea that within a few years I will forfeit even that outlet for service is frightening. I was stunned by the feelings of being 17 again, wondering wistfully how my life will be worthwhile. That I can't just play business-as-usual and follow the script of years past is discomforting. That I will have to actively employ creativity, initiative, and courage is daunting. The facts are, this is a new season. Health realities have given me the luxury of self-absorption for the past few months. But now it's time to journey on. The choices I make will largely determine how the trip goes, and that freedom is scary, indeed!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Freedom is indeed scary. But it is wonderful, too. You can turn over a new leaf. You can spend time writing stories and poetry as you once enjoyed. You can discover a new author or composer. While mental flaying is sometimes good, it's also good to discover what you can do differently. To discover what you are capable of doing and enjoying. I have always found the transitions in my life to be energizing and exciting, although scary, too. By the way, why did you pull your "November" post? It was really good! I liked it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger mozartmovement said...

Thanks for the peptalk! I don't know what happened to "There's something about November." Maybe I deleted it by mistake. I can't find it. :(

8:12 AM  
Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Weird. I tried to comment on your November post, but I always got a strange message telling me it wasn't available.

2:52 PM  
Blogger mozartmovement said...

Jana, your experience that my "November" entry "wasn't available" really has me puzzled, now. I dropped a note to the "Help" address. Hopefully they will shed some light (and get me back my post!). Just when I was thinking I understood this stuff...

3:23 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

I've been reading back through your older posts and enjoying not only what you've written, but the great discussions your friends have added, as well. I, too, have Parkinson's, and that's how I found your blog.

Everyone needs to be aware of opportunities to be helpful in such small ways, but I think those of us who know we will need care giving in the future should pay it forward, so to speak.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home