What are we thinking?
It's about time for a new post. I wish I were thinking of something profound, relevant, and concise. Or even picturesque. Lansing had a preponderance of rainy days this week, facilitating melancholy thoughts. I couldn't get my fasting blood sugar under 100 even when I was "being very good". My frustration at not being able to write as quickly as I wish, plus the "ache or shake" of my right hand and foot brings my Parkinson's to the forefront. My progress in reading Marie Curie's biography has gotten me to the tragic death of Pierre. My mother-in-law just broke her hip. Sigh. But, strangely, what keeps troubling me is news of a proposed vaccine requirement for Michigan schoolgirls. Just approved by the FDA in June, the vaccine prevents cervical cancer by preventing specific strains of HPV infection. State Senator Beverly Hammerstrom is lead sponser of the legislation (S 1416 and 1417), which would subject all sixth grade girls to a series of three injections for a cost of about $350. The longterm effects of this substance are as yet unknown. The cost and risk of this would pay off _only_ if our daughters become sexually promiscuious. HPV, the cause of cervical cancer, is 100% preventable, for free, by a healthy lifestyle. So, what are we thinking? Well, the sun was shining yesterday, the lawn looks great after a trim, and I've turned my mind towards diverting projects... And we can hope Michigan lawmakers will look at that proposal with clear vision.


2 Comments:
Wow, that does seem like disturbing potential legislation. I think the saddest part is the fact that a whole lot of girls might possibly benefit from it (assuming, of course, that there are no long-term ill effects connected to the vaccine).
Seems to me I'd heard that HPV was treatable, too. This must be an election year -- women's health issues can be such a bandwagon. I, too, hope that lot doesn't do something of such potential horror born of such stupidity.
Post a Comment
<< Home