Thursday, August 24, 2006

I finished a book!

There's so much competition for the time and attention I need to actually read a book. Not lofty stuff, either. Sure, work, exercise, church, and chores. But "reading time" can be quickly used up by the daily newspaper, mail, and email. Not to mention "down time," sipping beverages and watching the gold finches. Or channel-surfing, looking for something to hold my interest. Plus I usually go to bed about 9:00. So, if I intend to read a book, I need to be purposeful about it. This weekend, I was.
_Islam and the Jews_ (Mark A. Gabriel, Charisma House, 2003), though in my stack for months, seemed suddenly timely. Who could make sense of the recent Hezbollah-Israel conflict? Who started it? Who "won"?
Dr. Gabriel's subtitle is "the unfinished battle." He maintains the only hope for the region is Messiah Jesus, the Prince of Peace. He grew up Muslim and holds a doctorate in Islamic history and culture from Al-Azhar University in Egypt. After finding Christ, he earned a Masters in world religion and a Doctorate in Christian education in the US. This eye-opening book is easy to read but not superficial. He speaks with exceptional insight into the Muslim mindset, which he shared for 34 years. He gives suggestions for action, as we demonstrate love for those most imprisoned by militant Islam, the Muslims themselves. Though I was made aware of this volume through Voice of the Martyrs, it is available at Amazon.com. Indeed, the 23 comments offered at that site are very interesting in themselves. So that was my weekend's reading. The sense of accomplishment was so satisfying, I've pulled another book off my stack. A change of pace: _Madame Curie_ (Eve Curie, Garden City Publishing, 1943). I'll let you know when I finish...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! I'll have to put that book on my list... I think I read the Currie book back in the day. It was written by her daughter, right? You may recall a Marrie Currie phase I went through in about 8th or 9th grade. Both she and her husband (who didn't seem to get as much biographies written about him) were exceedingly interesting. Have fun!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Sounds like an interesting book. We had this discussion in my Jewish Apocalyptic Lit class today where we were talking about how there are two main views Christians/Jews have toward the "Middle East Crisis." There are those of the prophetic school who believe and wait for repentance and peace in the earthly Jerusalem, and there are those of the apocalyptic school who believe there will never be peace in the real Jerusalem, so therefore they look to peace and the fulfillment of prophecy in the New Jerusalem.

And whether or not we would be brave enough to call ourselves "prophets" or "apocalyptics," I think maybe most of us fall into these categories as well.

I would be very interested to understand the Muslim mindset with regard to all this.

10:04 PM  
Blogger mozartmovement said...

Jana, You'd find this book a quick read. Dr. Gabriel does discuss some of the variations of Islam, plus a bit about the mindset of the Middle East Churches. But recent newspapers which discuss the Iranian president also give a glimpse into front-and-center Apocolyptic thought. I personally take all prophetic interpretations with a grain of salt. Especially from those who claim to be certain their view is the only right one.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Well, and there is a difference between forthtelling (telling what God is saying) and foretelling (predicting the future). Most biblical prophecy (my profs tell me) is of the first sort.

My observation is that a lot of people who call themselves prophets today want to make "what God is saying" into some formulaic prediction for the future. And I, like you, take that with a grain of salt.

Of course, if we kept up the Old Testament habit of stoning prophets when they were wrong, that probably wouldn't be such an issue. :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Jeanine said...

Do you educated folk know anything about Edward Said? I'm doing a little background research -- we're using his book "Orientalism" in one of my classes, and I'm finding him an interesting character. And I haven't even read the book yet!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Until this moment, I had never heard of him, but I just Googled him, and he looks like he was a fascinating fellow.

9:37 PM  
Blogger mozartmovement said...

Edward Said was undoubtedly interesting. Though born in Egypt, he claimed to be a displaced Palestinian. He was a Columbia professor, unwaveringly anti-Jewish. For more illumination, see http://www.danielpipes.org
click on articles and search Edward Said. Jeanine, I'm still trying to guess which of your classes is pointing you to _Orientalism_. Jana, he apparently has had some input into Literature as well as politics, so he may be relevant to your studies on more than one front.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home