Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Moving right along...

Well, it's high time for an update. I had an appointment with Dr. B, the neurologist, this morning. I'd been tapering off my Symmetrel in anticipation of starting a new medication. So my tremors, stiffness, and slowness had gotten a little worse over the last week--though I felt better mentally. I'll admit I was worried that maybe he wouldn't agree with my hoped-for Azilect. From what I read, this medication could deal well with all my Parkinson's symptoms, with minimum side effects. Some studies even suggest it's neuroprotective, slowing the progress of PD. Happily, Dr. B not only prescribed this drug, he gave me some samples so I could start without delay. So far, at a 1/2 mg dose, no side effects. I'll increase to 1 mg after a few days. Even more happily, he doesn't feel any diet restrictions are necessary (some sources say to limit tyramine-containing foods like cheese and soy). I'm thinking if my tremors decrease I'll stop losing weight. I like being slender but I think #103 is worrisome. (I suspect Dr. B's office scale is a little inaccurate--at Curves I was #105, but that's still unattractive).
On other fronts, hubby and I are going out to dinner tonight to spend a Christmas gift card (thanks J!). Though this week is the coldest mid-Michigan has seen this year, the days are lengthening and we can think of spring. I've already gotten my time-off request approved for the Bioethics conference in July. Things are looking up...

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

I've recently started taking Zelepar, which is also supposed to have neuroprotective properties.

Do you get the NPF Ask the Doctor and Ask the Dietician forum digests by email? They are constantly telling PWP that they can ignore the warnings about tyramine.

Glad to know you're not having any side effects, MM!

9:26 PM  
Blogger mozartmovement said...

Although the NPF doctors (as well as my own) say to ignore the tyramine restrictions, the dietician insists one should follow them. In fact discussion of the low tyramine diet weighted the Azilect discussion so much that I realized there was actually little input regarding how the drug worked for people. My hopes for it have not been realized. I resorted to taking a Benadryl for my tremors last night. With a 0.5mg of Azilect and a Benadryl today, I was much better able to write at work. Yesterday I was so frustrated, I thought I'd have to retire.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home