Sunday, April 08, 2012

SONNET

Old poets prayed, the ancient hymns stay true:
“The cross alone,”“No boast but what He did.”
Christ’s strength unchanged, God’s glory like the sun,
The drench of Jesus’ blood makes old life new.

New covenant, sufficient then, as now.
A simple “yes:” salvation always mine.
As true as trials–His strength supports me yet,
He pulls me toward His heartbeat and I rest.

My hope is in His glory, nothing less
My sin annulled, my debt entirely paid.
His love poured out, before I knew to love.
What pride to think He needs our mortal help.

Christ’s muddy, bloody death turned dark to light,
His strength, His power, my helplessness, His might.

(by sue c wheeler, 2011)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

I remember you read this last year at church. It moved me then, it moves me now. Thank you for sharing.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home