why do we care about the indefinite it?
Continuing with the subject of writing, I have been thinking about my high school English teacher's "do not" list. If we made the mistake of putting a forbidden phrase into our theme, we got an "E" and had to write the thing over. What I wouldn't give for a copy of Miss Ludwig's list! Among the culprits:
indefinite it
the word "very"
the word "thing"
"so" or "and" linking parts of a complex sentence ("so that" was ok)
There were lots of others, that have made me a better writer over the years. I Googled "teaching writing" and "indefinite it" and got only one (perhaps) relevant result. What does that say about the current state of writing instruction? Alas. Thanks, Miss Ludwig. Your reputation as a hard teacher was deserved--and valued!
indefinite it
the word "very"
the word "thing"
"so" or "and" linking parts of a complex sentence ("so that" was ok)
There were lots of others, that have made me a better writer over the years. I Googled "teaching writing" and "indefinite it" and got only one (perhaps) relevant result. What does that say about the current state of writing instruction? Alas. Thanks, Miss Ludwig. Your reputation as a hard teacher was deserved--and valued!


2 Comments:
Sue,
When the heavy winter snows come I occasionally place corn between our fence and the one lane dirt road that passes our home. Within a few hours the deer, and probably other animals, come out of the woods and enjoy a healthy snack. The deer continue to report daily between 4:00 and 4:30 PM until they decide the food is no longer available. If I were able to look deeply into the eyes of anyone of the deer after the food is gone I believe I would see hunger and disappointment.
Likewise, when I go to your blog and to the blog of each of your daughters and there is nothing new to read one could see disappointment in my soul. I hope with the New Year there will be a renewed interest and desire in each one’s heart to share their thoughts and desires. I’m curious; did the dogs stay out west for the holidays – who is taking care of them?
I hope you, your husband, daughters, and son-in-law had an enjoyable Christmas. Also, I wish each of you a happy and prosperous new year.
Ken from NPF forum
Thanks, Ken.
I'm touched that you care about our blogs. Facebook has diverted me somewhat. The dogs travelled in the car. Yes, the whole 1300 miles. They are being good mutts. All good wishes for 2010!
Post a Comment
<< Home