Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving has been regarded by many, including myself, as the perfect holiday. History, gratitude, good smells, family warmth–and a lot less baggage than Christmas. We’ve felt free to travel at Thanksgiving, in a way we couldn’t at Christmas. We’ve visited California, Texas, New Mexico, Kentucky, and a daughter’s apartment just four miles down the street. All linked with the familiar feast, with my modest contributions lovingly prepared the previous day. I am honestly so devoid of sentiment this year. Yesterday came and went with no pie made, no cranberries ground. The turkey drumsticks will not be transformed into a banquet, but a crock-pot standby from our young-children economy-era. Cranberries? If I feel like it. Pie? Well, there’s a Mrs. Smith’s in the freezer. The requirement for the day is rest and refreshment–and maybe a togetherness walk with hubby. For the friends and loved ones we won’t see today, know we are sincerely thankful for you! I just wonder, as I anticipate a day without obligation, why don’t I feel carefree?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home