Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicago, January 2012

I am in Chicago,
Watching my sister grow thin
From a cancer she didn’t know she had last week.
Tasks absorb the tears-to-come--
I have much to do.
I scour shops for foods to tempt:
Ice cream and berries, avocados and white cheese.
I mop floors and sort cupboards.
We talk of the next meal,
the next pill,
the next nap.
We do not talk of the next year.
I pull on handknit socks, and stay,
Caring,
As my twin sister grows thin.

3 Comments:

Blogger janet said...

You weave words beautifully; a sad poem, and haunting.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous WHW said...

Haunting, yes, but a window into a brave and steadfast, yet unassuming, heart. I love you.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

you are living out the words of Emily Dickinson's poem right now. Bless you, dear one. Standing with you in prayer.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home