Sunday, July 01, 2007

Back Home

I can go a whole year driving less than 3000 miles, so taking my car on a trip that accummulated that in 10 days was a pretty big deal. In the past, hubby has driven us out west, but this time it was just #2 daughter (J) and me. Shall we say the style was rather different? We started in Michigan, went to west Texas via Arkansas, then out to the Four Corners. We played J's tapes non-stop--except those couple hundred miles when I was at the wheel, imposing driver's perogative (country music on the radio). Just working through her 100 or so tapes was quite an experience. Some were cobbled together from out-of-print LPs, some recent musicals, even some old-fashioned poetry read by classic actors. Does anybody know a song lauding hazel eyes, besides the one in Secret Garden? We had lots to chat about, too(!). I was proud of being at the wheel as we cruised through Amarillo, and the couple hundred miles I did in Illinois. Last year at this time, yet to start medication, I didn't know if I'd be up to highway driving this year or not. J asked me if I was apprehensive about meeting up with her friend in Tulsa, reminding me how Parkinson's had made me self-conscious at last year's reunions. I had nearly forgotten. Thanks to a little Sinemet and exercise, I honestly feel as good as I ever remember. I exhibit some tremors when I'm tired or excited, but otherwise my symptoms are hardly perceptible. Happiest of all, I can again enjoy walking and knitting without stalling. One more aspect of the trip I must mention--I attended my first Renaissance Faire! We were with daughter #1 (R) at the right weekend to catch the one in Mancos, Colorado. A gorgeous drive and a nice little fair. So here I am at home now, altering the "Rennie" dress I bought, and starting a sewing project! More later...

5 Comments:

Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

It was so great to see you! I'm still researching the fruits (I haven't forgotten).

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I'm glad you had fun! I definitely had fun, too.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue,
There is a second opinion clinic in Bay City August 2nd and 3rd. On the 3rd from 1:30 to 3:30 there will be a presentation "What's New in Parkinson's Disease" at Saginaw Valley State University Recital Hall. If interested, you need to pre-register at 800-852-9781.
Ken

9:24 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

I’ve been out of the blogging loop for some time now, but I am glad to see that you're enjoying your retirement and getting to do things you haven't done in a long time, if ever. At the request of a reader, I have a new post discussing some of the symptoms I had over the years that may have been early undiagnosed signs of Parkinson’s. I’d appreciate it if you would add your comments to that post, as I think it could be a very useful topic for PWP to share.

http://parkinsons.dirtybutter.com/blog/2007/07/earliest-undiagnosed-symptoms-of.html

8:26 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Hi! I stopped by and skimmed through a few posts, trying to get a sense of how your are doing. I was elated to see that you have found relief for your symptoms to the point of highway driving. I haven't driven now in almost a year, I guess. Or at least it seems like that long. So I can really appreciate how important that victory is!

May God continue to bless you!

Rosemary

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home